Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Taking a little run in Central Park

Today I got up early and a late night storm with remnants this morning all over the place prevented me from taking the bike out. So I took the kiddos to DD so they could enjoy their favorite donut and oj while I relived the Mets breakdown against the Phillies last night in the paper. After that I dropped Tessa off to play with her cousin and Ethan and I got some pool work in together. He taught me how to dive and I tried teaching him to keep his butt higher in the water. Obviously I am not the greatest to teach that skill because I look like a giant L plowing through the water when I swim. I got some decent work in and then Ethan and I fired up the Weber to cook my all time favorite Cornell BBQ chicken. It is a white BBQ sauce that we have to home make, and it takes about 3 hours of grill time for it to be perfect, but it is worth every sensational second once you sink your teeth in.

Tonight was our 3rd installment of running with the x-country kiddos so I biked the 9 miles to school where we did 1/4 mile intervals on the track. The goal was to run them at 5k race pace and no faster. I did all 8 of mine at 1:25 with 2 minutes of rest in between. Since that works out to about a 5:40 mile I went a little bit quicker than 5k race pace, but it felt right and I wasn't pushing too hard. The varsity guys looked good again and went ahead and did 12 intervals. I would have done the extra 4, but another storm looked imminent so I hopped on the Trek and got my bootie home.

I guess I should explain the title of this post now. This weekend Ethan my parents and I are going to NYC to watch Johan Santana pitch against Albert Pujols on Sunday, then were going to watch Mike Mussina pitch against his old squad the Orioles on Monday. We are staying near Times Square so I am very excited about an opportunity to run Central Park. Runners World can really make a run through CP sound romantic so I have to test it out for myself. Maybe twice if all goes well. Tomorrow is supposed to be my off day, but I am already feeling an easy morning run in my bones. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Romantic? To describe a run? Are you even remotely serious? What does that say about our sex life?

Kelly

Paul Taylor said...

I like to see the blog getting spicy!

We're going to be in NY for the Yankees/Orioles on Tuesday, bummer we didn't co-ordinate that. We'll be in Sodus the week of Aug 2nd, so we need to start planning when you're coming down.

Also, how come this is the first I'm hearing about this chicken? Seems that I would have heard about it in Buffalo if it was that good.

We're at the Barbers today, stayed up until 1 am playing Rock Band on the Wii, that game is fun.