Saturday, July 19, 2008

Back on the stick!!!

Well today I got my act back together. It has been really hot here in CNY (90+ with our traditional hazy, hot, humid mix). Thursday was spent in the swimming pool with Ethan and his cousin Noah, then we played what seemed like hours of wiffle ball. Friday's goal was to get in a morning run before the heat then play it by ear, but I woke with real stiffness in my right ankle which I twisted a touch on Wednesday on the trails. So I went to the golf course instead and swang the club so much it felt like a workout. When I got home I hopped in the pool and swam laps for 25 consecutive minutes then played with the kiddies. It is amazing to watch their confidence grow in the water with each passing day. So today I had to get out and hammer it a bit. I went on my Liverpool loop (5.36 miles) with a goal of doing it in under 40 minutes. That's a brisk pace for me, about 85% of max, especially on a morning when it was already in the 80's and the air was moist. I ran comfortably for the first 4 miles but the home 1.36 were a bit tough as all I could think about was the water I wish I had, but was still 1.36 miles away from. I got home in 39:35 and ran for the kitchen sink. I swear there were palm trees and tiki torches surrounding that sink as I finally reached my oasis. After Kelly completed her run we decided to head out to Fairhaven Beach with Drew and his family. Of course Drew wouldn't let me come out his way without my bike, so we stopped at his house so I could bike out to Fairhaven with him while the wives and kids met us out there in the cars. It was only a 13 mile ride but it is quite hilly and at 12:30 in the afternoon was quite hot. We took it easy and then spent the rest of the day on the shores of Lake Ontario, with some time out on his boat in Lake Ontario. My kids have never been on a fishing boat before, and weren't really excited about it at first but once we got going I think they could have spent the rest of their lives out there. Tessa is in bed now but the smile is still on her face from riding in the front seat like the little queen she is.

No comments: