Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First Day of Summer Workouts for X-Country Kids

Today was the Wednesday evening session for our high school and modified x-country programs. I love watching these guys develop through the summer, and actually being able to train with them. Once the season officially starts it is not impossible to train with the guys, but it is more difficult since I am also coaching, training, and teaching them. This years varsity guys are the first guys I ever coached in modified and they look awesome. NYS better look out because these guys are fast and hungry. They finished way above expectations last year and were disapointed with a narrow miss at sectionals, and I can already tell they aren't going to leave anything to chance this year. I'm also excited about this years modified crew. I have some promising 8th graders, and the 7th graders look like a strong bunch of young boys. Makes you wonder if B'ville has added winstrol to the water. Anyways I nixed my morning run so that I could run with the boys this evening. Just before I left I hopped in the neighbors pool (thanks Queenie) and swam for the 20 minutes I had. I wanted to run about 5 miles on the Beaver Lake trails, but meeting with the kids and chatting with their 'rents prevented that from happening. I was going to then do an easy 3 mile loop around the lake, but I felt so good I ended up turning an easy run into a pretty strong run. In fact sitting here now I still feel pretty darn good. Makes me wonder if my decision to take it easy at this weekends Boilermaker 15k is the right decision. If I actually thought anyone read this blog I would post a poll to help me deal with this quagmire. Do I bust a run at the Boilermaker, or do I stick to the earlier plan to enjoy the run with my tri-mate Drew? One thing I know is I will be an interested onlooker to the finish of the race between my wife and my brother. They have bet a dinner at a local Italian eatery on this race. I hope they tie and decide to buy me dinner!!!!

3 comments:

Paul Taylor said...

Boilermaker - leave it all on the table, go for broke. Does Drew wait for you on the swim during a race? Lay it down.

B'vlle - Must be the coach - Mars Blackman

Also, I met a friend through Craig that went to B'vlle and he just did the same Ironman as Craig. He's my age, so probably Class of '89 ish.

http://fortheluvofpizza.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Your so not invited to dinner. We are all aware that you can crush both of us so this is a private slow runner race and dinner.

BTW, I don't believe you are capable of running "easy" in a race. That would be like me "only looking" at the outlet mall. Impossible.

Paul Taylor said...

Wow, Jeff and Kelly on a date? What will the neighbors think?